History of NOPTCA

The Northern Ohio Painting and Taping Contractors Association, (NOPTCA), can be traced back to The Painting and Decorating Association, (PDCA) which was founded in 1884 as a trade association serving painting and decorating contractors to help improve their businesses through educational programs, local networking and establishing industry standards.                                                                                                                       

The Cleveland Chapter of the PDCA, established in 1903, had been providing the management representation for all the jointly managed trusts for the painters and tapers. Then in 1999, the International Painters Union decided it would no longer negotiate with the PDCA because they represented both union and open shop contractors.


Thus, the Northern Ohio Painting and Taping Contractors Association, (NOPTCA) was established in 2001 in order to successfully negotiate the working agreements with the Union.


The Association was created for the following purposes:


  • To promote the general and economic welfare of its members; to improve the business of painting contracting and its allied trades; and to promote the general welfare of the painting industry and its allied trades. 


  • To provide for the mutual exchange of practical and educational data between its members, and to create and encourage programs to protect the health and safety of their employees. 


  • To aid, assist and cooperate with persons engaged in similar or allied trades, to establish industrial efficiency and to contribute to a better public understanding and acceptance of the purposes and functions of persons engaged in the business of painting contracting and its allied trades. 


  • To recommend, by all legal means, any and all legislation which will benefit and improve the business of painting contracting and its allied trades. 


  • To create and encourage cooperation and business efficiency by and among its members and the Union.